Pascagoula Alien Abduction

UFO Abduction

More UFO Sightings:

Even cursory reviews of just a few well-known reliable sources readily revealed at least two probable reasons why the 1973 Pascagoula Abduction is consistently rated within the most famous UFO incidents in world history. First, it involved alleged physical capture by alien extraterrestrials. Secondly, it developed in the Deep South, which seems to be a relatively rare backdrop for UFO-related phenomena. Thirdly, it garnered a great deal of public interest, probably due to being widely publicized on a globalized scale. Indeed, in a popular book about the case published in 1998, investigative journalist and UFO historian Jerome Clark posited the Pascagoula Abduction Case as "[T]he second most investigated UFO event in history."

Basic fact pattern that led to full-blown launch of the Pascagoula Alien Abduction plot

The Pascagoula Abduction Case commenced on October 11, 1973, when then 42-year-old Charles Hickson and his 19-year-old shipyard coworker Calvin Porter were fishing off a pier located near South Mississippi's Pascagoula River west bank. Suddenly, they heard a strange whizzing or whirring sound at the same time a pair of flashing blue lights appeared from nowhere. Within seconds, an oval-shaped spacecraft materialized very close to where the pair of baffled buddies sat on the pier. The odd oval UFO was roughly 8 feet wide, at least 8 feet high and hovered about two feet above ground.

As an exterior side door began to slide open, a trio of extraterrestrial beings disembarked and grabbed both men, who then floated or levitated onto the spacecraft. Both putative victims claimed they instantly became numb and totally paralyzed. Parker also said he fainted from sheer terror at one point.

While aboard the weird space vehicle, Hickson said his body somehow rose into the air and hovered a few feet over the floor with no visible means of support. After levitation, Hickson reported being subjected to a thorough physical examination by a mechanical scanning device with a large eye that looked like a huge football. Parker said he couldn't recall most of what occurred while he was confined inside the craft. After 20 minutes or so, both captives were released by being re-levitated back to the fishing pier.

Pascagoula alien abductees notify local police

Not surprisingly, their unearthly experience terrified both men who said they sat in a car for nearly an hour afterward to calm down and regain coherence and mental stability. Hickson reportedly took a huge swig of whiskey to help expedite his recovery. After briefly discussing their best next step, they tried to report the incident to officials at Keesler Air Force Base located in nearby Biloxi, MS. However, military personnel advised that the U.S. Air Force did not get involved with UFO events, and suggested that the men notify local police.

Accordingly, Parker and Hickson headed for the Jackson County, Mississippi Sheriff's Office and arrived about 10:30 p.m. CST. Before departing, they decided to bring their very recent catch of catfish because it was the only tangible evidence of their capture. Following an apparently brief preliminary interview, then Jackson County Sheriff Fred Diamond expressed strong belief that both men were truly afraid and sincere. However, he also admitted to harboring some doubt about their incredible story, partly due to Hickson's prior admission of recent alcohol consumption.

Enter "The Secret Tape"

After repeatedly drilling both men about various details of their alleged capture by extraterrestrial beings, Sheriff Diamond left them alone in a small interrogation room. Unbeknownst to Parker or Hickson, the room was bugged with a hidden microphone.

In his best-selling book referenced above, journalist Jerome Clark theorized that Diamond reasoned that if the story was fabricated, that fact would soon become evident once conspirators felt comfortable enough to speak candidly a "private" setting.

However, it turned out that unbeknownst to Sheriff Diamond, he was in for a huge surprise. Instead of expected findings of fabrications, elaborations or outright falsifications, the covertly recorded conversation revealed severe emotional distress and extreme fright that might be far beyond mere human comprehension. In fact, the "Secret Tape" remained in secure storage at the Jackson County Sherriff's Office for years after its initial recordation. Following its release, the "Secret Tape" gained widespread circulation among UFOlogists and UFO enthusiasts.

Pascagoula UFO Abductee Victims Agree to Polygraph to Prove their Veracity

Due to (quite aptly) perceived serious doubts or outright disbelief by local police, both Hickson and Parker volunteered to undergo polygraph examinations. However, as Parker apparently later reneged for some unknown reason(s), Hickson was the only party who actually submitted to polygraph examination. Based on those test results, the polygraph examiner reported finding that Hickson believed his UFO abduction story.

However, aviation newsman and staunch UFO skeptic Philip Klass pointed out several discrepancies in Hickson's story and serious "defects" in the polygraph testing process. For starters, the operator who administered the test was "inexperienced," unlicensed and still in training. Moreover, Hickson's lawyer and "booking agent" refused an offer for retesting by an experienced Mobile Police Dept. polygraph expert for no charge. Furthermore, Hickson's attorney made no attempt to contact more experienced local polygraph examiners, but retained the unlicensed student examiner who resided more than 100 miles away in New Orleans, LA, and happened to work for the lawyer's close friend.

Likewise, UFO skeptic-investigator Joe Nickell opined that Hickson behaved in a "questionable" manner and later changed or elaborated his story during various TV talk show appearances. Nickell further hypothesized that Hickson's tale was merely a fantasy concocted by his mind while in a hypnagogic "walking dream state." Finally, Nickell theorized that Parker's corroborating account was merely the product of a highly suggestible mind, particularly given his original version that claimed he'd passed out when the episode began and remained unconscious until longer after it ended.

Self-contradictory inconsistencies cast serious doubts on UFO abductee's credibility

During an interview longer than two decades after the alleged facts, Parker reportedly gave a far more elaborate account than he originally recited to the local sheriff. First, he confessed to having lied about fainting at first sight of the strange alien captors. Parker then related new details about being taken down a long corridor inside the aircraft that led to a room in which he was examined by a "petite female" alien being. Despite total paralysis, Parker was somehow able to observe a large needle being injected into the base of his penis. In addition, this alien female creature somehow telepathically communicated with Parker to advise that he'd been kidnapped for a specific purpose, but that attempted reassurance did not abate his intense foreboding of imminent danger.

Perhaps most striking of all was Parker's claim made 19 years later that he'd encountered the same alien spaceship again, but freely boarded the craft and met the same female extraterrestrial who'd examined him back in 1973. This time, she spoke verbally in perfect English to advise Parker that they both worshipped the same God and verified the Bible's total authenticity. She closed by relating that her planet's inhabitants wanted to live on the earth, but felt that humans were too prone to destruction and violence, based on their history of wars.

Pascagoula Alien Abduction prologue and overall prognosis

Within less than a week after the UFO story hit international news wires, the normally laid back Southern City of Pascagoula gained worldwide fame. News media reps were reportedly swarming everywhere in efforts toward winning a never-ending rat race to claim first place by beating colleagues to the Biggest Story of An Entire Career. Having soon grown weary of constant publicity and complete lack of privacy, Hickson and Parker fled to Jones County, Mississippi in hopes of finding serenity among family members. Despite that 150-mile flight for peace of mind, Parker was eventually hospitalized for a condition Jerome Clark described as "emotional breakdown."

Years after the alleged UFO abduction, Hickson opined during a news interview that Parker suffered more psychological trauma because he'd never been exposed to such phenomenal terror. To support that theory, Hickson cited his prior Korean War combat duty that entailed constant exposure to devastating fear, death and destruction. By stark contrast, his much younger coworker and fellow abductee had never been through a terrifying encounter, much less a bizarre confrontation with something that supposedly didn't even exist.

While it seems that Parker somehow managed to fade into relative obscurity far away from constant public scrutiny, Hickson remained in the spotlight for several decades. However, despite widespread vicious attacks, vehement criticism and even harsh verbal ridicule constantly dished out by die-hard UFO doubting skeptics, Hickson refused to disavow his reported alien abduction. That admirable conviction remained constant throughout the rest of his earthly tenure. Charles Hickson departed this world permanently and went to his final reward in an eternal home on September 9, 2011, at the ripe age of 80.